10 Funny Things People Ask About Our Empty Nest
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The majority of the past 4 years we have been childfree. We’ve had a couple of breakups that included short moves back home, and one temporary landing spot as one of our kids moved to another state. But for the most part, we’ve had an empty nest.
We are among the first of our friends in our age group to experience the empty nest. Naturally, we get some interesting questions that people believe to be true. I thought I would address them today.
The top 10 questions we get asked…
- The most frequent question we get asked is, “Do we run around naked all day?” The answer is mostly, no. In the winter we are never without clothing on. It’s just too cold here in Michigan. In the summer, you better call before you drop over because while my husband is never naked, I am.
- “Do we have parties all the time?” No. We rarely have parties. It’s not that I don’t want the convenience of having the party at my home, I just don’t want the mess.
- “Does our house stay clean all the time?” The answer to that is a resounding, YES!
- “Are we ever lonely?” Surprisingly no, never. That’s what friends are for.
- “Is it always quiet at your house?” Yes, blissfully so! You should come over for a coffee on the weekends, no bra required of course. I guarantee you will feel relaxed.
- “Do you party like rock stars?” This question ages you. No, we don’t party like rock stars, normally. Occasionally we do, but mostly we just enjoy the company of our similarly aged friends and talk about the latest person in the group to have a colonoscopy.
- “Do we ever stay home?” No. We are usually out every chance we can get. It’s a nice contrast to our younger lives when we had young children to care for and we could either not find a babysitter, or bribe one of our parents to watch the kids.
- “Do we miss having kids at home?” Sorry, but no. We miss them but that’s what the phone and visiting are for.
- “Do you enjoy not having to clean up after the kids?” Surprisingly this dumb question gets asked often. Of course, we enjoy not having to clean up after anyone but ourselves. As Bill Engvall would say… “Here’s your sign.”
- “Do you eat out every night?” No. All those colonoscopies we get; we need to eat a healthy diet. We actually eat more at home now than when our kids were at home.